Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Making Fondant Rose

I'm now trying my hand at making fondant flowers and my first attempt is trying to do a rose. The rose does seem to be one of the most popular of all flowers that grace most cakes and cupcakes. So why not try this!

I went to Phoon Huat, which is not far from my office, during lunch time to buy a pack of Wilton ready made fondant. Unfortunately Phoon Huat didn't have white fondant so I had to settle for another type of fondant which was important from South America, cost was under $7 for 500 gm.

I had previously bought a Wilton rose cutter set which I was planning to use on this project. Unfortunately the cutter did not succeed no matter how hard I tried - even following the instructions did not work. Maybe the fondant was too soft ... but I did add cornstarch! Anyway I came across a video clip from You-Tube on how to make fondant roses. You'll be amazed at the amount of things you can learn from You-Tube ..... a wonderful online library of information .. plus sometimes crap as well !

This is the end result .... still not perfect but it's a start. Just need to put in a bit more practise that's all!



This is the web link if anyone is interested to try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUHRiJGxwNY




6 comments:

Sugar Inc® said...

hello josephine! thanks for making a link to my video =)

Anna

My Food Safari said...

Jo, fondant + gum trag or + tylose powder is good for modelling. This will help the model dry hard. But for flowers, I use gum paste.

Anonymous said...

Extraordinarily exciting article. Thanksgiving owing to you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I tried making the roses with wilton gumpaste, but it keeps wilting after a few hours (i stick it on foam like yours as well). How do you dry your roses and keep it from wilting long enough to decorate on the cake etc.

Little Miss Cupcake said...

Does anyone noes where i can get tylose powder in singapore?

Little Miss Cupcake said...

Does anyone noes where i can get tylose powder in singapore?

Related Posts with Thumbnails