Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Coconut Cake with Lemon Sour Cream Icing

Haha ... it's another lemon recipe. This time with a twist, I added an extra ingredient, dessicated coconut.

I remembered I had a small pack of dessicated coconut which I had purchased months ago from a bake shop. I cannot remember why I had bought it now but on two separate "spring cleaning" occassions, I had been tempted to throw it out. Luckily I didn't.

So it was quite timely that I came across this recipe whilst browsing the internet for a lemon cake. I also happen to have 4 lemons in my fridge. No I'm not stocking upfor a rainy day - I just bought more than I required. Don't you have one of those days when you think buying more saves you some $ ....! Some times it does and some times I end up throwing up stuff that's gone bad. Such a waste!



Any way it was mid week that I decided to bake this cake. I told my office colleage if I was "hard working" that evening, I'll bake. Her usual response would be "ok be hard working then" with a smile, that's because she'll have cake the next day.

Coconut cake with lemon sour cream icing
(Recipe source: Super Foods Ideas)
serves 8


Ingredients:

125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 large lemon, rind finely grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup milk
1/2 cup desiccated coconut

Lemon sour cream icing:

1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
1/4 cup sour cream
1 lemon, rind finely grated

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 6cm deep, 9cm x 19cm (base) loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.

2) Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon rind and half the egg. Beat well. Add remaining egg and beat until well combined.

3) Using a large metal spoon, gently stir flour, milk and coconut into butter mixture (do not over-mix). Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes in pan. Lift onto a wire rack to cool completely.

4) Make lemon icing: Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add sour cream and lemon rind. Stir until well combined. Pour icing over cake. Allow to set before serving

5) Decorate the cake with toasted coconut, if desired.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails