Sunday, October 17, 2010

BBQ Pork Buns (Char Siew Buns)

After having successfully tried making yeasted buns using the "water roux" method which were made into Mini Sliders, I went about making another batch of dough a few weeks later. But this time I decided to add BBQ pork as the filing. BBQ pork buns or "char siew buns" as we normally call them can be found in local bakeries and part of the menu items in any yum cha restaurant.

char siew bun 1


For the filing, I decided to buy ready made char siew which I then diced into small pieces. I added frozen green peas as well with the meat. To season the filing I referred to a previous recipe for Baked BBQ Pork Buns . After the buns were baked, I glazed them with some maple syrup diluted with a bit of water to give it a glossy look. I must say that the buns were delicious but next time round, I will try to add in more filing.

Recipe for Yeasted Buns

Recipe for the BBQ Pork Filing

char siew bun 2


char siew bun 3

18 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yummy, I love char Siew buns! So far have only tried the steamed version, not baked. But I do trust the water roux method, will surely be nice & soft! Thanks for the recipe Jo. :)

Angie's Recipes said...

One of the must-order when you visit Cantonese restaurants!These look so good!

Passionate About Baking said...

Oh wow! The Char Siew buns looked so delicious. Actually I wanted to do this during this weekend, but I changed my mind. Yours looked so wonderfully good!

Cooking Gallery said...

This is lovely! I love char siew buns!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

The buns look good.... I actually have a good recipe for a juicy char sew filling... But a lot of work... Maybe I should try this...

Marina Mott said...

Delicious!!xx

El said...

This is so creative. I've never seen buns like this before. Incredible work!

Kris Ngoei said...

Beautiful and delicious buns! Look how golden they are. Just reminded me of my childhood favorites...

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

MaryMoh said...

Ooooh...delicious! I wish there's a bakery shop here that sells these. Looks like I have to make if I want to eat :D

pigpigscorner said...

The water roux method results in such light and fluffy buns! The buns look so good!

tigerfish said...

I saw a push-cart of BBQ Pork Buns in a dim-sum restaurant yesterday but gave the buns a miss. Taking a second look again today, I am sure I want some now.

chef_d said...

Looks delicious! I'm craving for some right now :)

Your #1 Fan said...

Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Bakericious said...

I love char siew buns, Jo I am hungry now, can spare some for me :)

Anonymous said...

BBQ pork bun! My hubby's favourite. I need to try this at home.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This look so good, well done.

DG said...

The buns looks soft and fluffy, plus with BBQ pork filling, it must be taste so good.
Nice meeting up with you and hope to see you again :)

Noob Cook said...

looks very professional and delicious like those of bakery standard. You're good girl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails